Vocare was developed because of the desire to help each senior at DSHA grow more fully beyond classroom discussions and shorter-term service experiences. Vocare sends you forth into the community to give of yourself as you continue your journey to become the person God intended you to be. It is the capstone of four years of service and helps to integrate the true meaning of what it means to be a Dasher – believer, critical thinker, communicator, leader and self-advocate. Through your work with children, the elderly or those with other special needs, you will have the opportunity to experience firsthand many of the critical issues facing our society today and gain a deeper understanding of how you can utilize your gifts and talents in service with others.
- Go in without expectations
- Trust that you will be placed where you are needed and where you need to be
- Be open to the experience God will place before you
You are expected to be at your Vocare site during regular school hours (minimum from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.). Some sites have modified hours. Please do not put a preference for a site that has modified hours if you cannot fulfill those hours.
Reflection is a critical (and mandatory) part of the Vocare program. God’s voice finds us most often when we are quiet. You must attend a Vocare Reflection on Sunday, March 8. There are two options that you can sign up for when you turn in your placement form: 9-12pm or 3-6 pm.
Your only homework during Vocare is to complete your journal each day. This journal is meant to help you reflect more deeply on and internalize your experience. This journal will be handed in on Monday, March 4, and be returned to you before graduation.
You are required to stay at your service site for lunch. Lunch should last around 30 minutes. Please do not take advantage of the site’s hospitality by leaving campus or by taking overly long lunches.
Seniors participating in Vocare cannot be held accountable for work completed byother students in class during their absence, nor can they be made to feel as thoughthey are behind once they return to school. Homework is not to be assigned duringVocare; the focused mission-centered work of Vocare is meant to be the priorityand the student service experience during this time is designed to be all-encompassing.Students in AP courses may be allowed to continue readingminimal course material so as not to create an undue burden for themselves uponreturn, but even AP teachers are required to scale back expectations of studentsduring the Vocare service immersion experience.
If you are sick when you are scheduled to be at your site, you must contact both your service site and the attendance line at DSHA to inform them of your absence. You will be required to make up all missed hours.
If DSHA closes due to severe weather, you should not report to your service site; however, you must contact your service site to inform them.
School Placement: please wear your uniform polo and skirt with leggings or uniform pants on the first day. Your site will inform you if other dress is acceptable.
Non-school Placement: Dress in business casual attire (i.e. dress pants, khakis, nice shirts, etc.) Do not wear sweats, shorts, leggings, or t-shirts. DSHA polos are acceptable.
Cell phones should be stored securely during Vocare hours. You are not allowed to use your cell phones except during lunch.
Ask your site supervisor if you can take pictures 1) for use through DSHA and 2) for your personal use. Please do not post pictures from Vocare on your social media accounts without expressed permission from your site supervisor. Campus Ministry would love to see pictures from your service site. Please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You do not get to choose your site for Vocare. There is a lot to balance in the placement process. The needs of the service site comes first.
- 3 options for Placement
#1 Holy Spirit Option: Place me anywhere!
#2 Site Option: Students can submit 3 site preferences. Mrs. Monson will give these sites preference when she is placing you. If you do not receive one of your top 3, you will be placed in a similar site to your top three.
#3 Partner Option: Choose a partner to be placed with. If you choose this option, you could be placed anywhere, but you are guaranteed to be placed with that partner.
#4 Carpool Option: This option will put you at a site that will meet at DSHA and carpool to and from the site together each day.
- Things to consider before filling out the Vocare Site Preference Form
- What would push you beyond your comfort zone?
- What is my transportation situation? (**New policy – carpools)
- What passions and talents could I use at my site? (piano, crafting, photography, singing, dance, cards, etc.)
- Paperwork Requirements (Background checks and TB testing)
- Do your own research on sites – look up locations, figure out their mission, etc.
- Fill out the online Vocare Site Preference Form
- Due Friday, January 10
- Mrs. Monson will be available in Campus Ministry all week
- Placements announced – Tuesday, Jan. 22
- Wednesday, January 8: Vocare orientation
- Friday, January 10: Service preference form due
- Tuesday, January 22: Vocare site placements announced; mandatory meeting in chapel
- Monday, February 3: TB testing in Campus Ministry, part 1
- Tuesday, February 4: Safeguarding condensed training; mandatory meeting in theatre
- Wednesday February 5: Required paperwork due to Campus Ministry; TB testing, part 2
- Thursday, February 27: Vocare Logistics session; mandatory meeting in chapel
- Friday, February 28: Vocare send-off prayer service
- March 2 through March 13: Vocare two-week service experience
- Sunday, March 8: Vocare service reflection session
- Monday, March 16: Vocare welcome back prayer service and assembly
Once you receive your placement
- Contact your site supervisor (EVERYONE)
- Consult your placement sheet on how get in contact with your site supervisor
- Your group may choose to get in contact as a group or individually. Remember to talk to each other 😊
- Fill out paperwork for your site
- Background Checks (Most sites)
i. Many sites are required to run a background check before you can serve at that site. You will need to provide your social security number. All personal information will be kept confidential. Due Feb. 5
- TB tests (Certain sites)
i. This test is required by the state for many sites. If you have had a TB test in the last 3 months and can provide paperwork, please do so before, you still need to have a new test. If your site requires a TB test, you will receive it at DSHA.
- Turn in your permission slip on Monday, January 27 to Campus Ministry
- Receive your TB test on Monday, Feb. 3 during dasher time in Campus Ministry
- TB Completion test will be on Wednesday, Feb. 5
This test is free and does not require insurance. You must be present for both dates in order to certify the test.
- Flu shots records (Certain sites)
i. Many sites require flu shots. You will need to provide documentation by Wednesday, Feb. 5 that you received one in the past 9 months. Call your doctor’s office or the medical facility you received the shot for documentation. If you are unwilling to do so, please indicate that on your preference form so you are placed at a site that does not require a background check. This will significantly limit your options.
- Immunization records
i. Please hand in a copy of this on Wednesday, Feb. 5 if your site requires.
- Site Orientation (Certain sites)
i. Consult your placement sheet to see if you have an orientation at the site prior to Vocare.
Special Circumstances (transportation, SS, etc.): Talk to Mrs. Monson AND put it in the comments on the Vocare Site Preference Form
- Pray for those whom you will be serving
- Represent yourself and DSHA well
- Take initiative! Follow through on what you are asked to do and look for other ways to help.
- Ensure the safety of yourself and those whom you serve. Contact Mrs. Monson anytime if you have questions or concerns.
When you return from your site
- Turn in your journal
- Complete the evaluation form and write a thank you letter
- Add your hours to x2VOL in one entry using the Vocare goal